Kasab case to be decided on Feb 21st by High Court
The Bombay High Court on Monday said it would deliver its verdict on 21st February on confirmation of death sentence awarded to Pakistani terrorist Ajmal Kasab for his role in the 26/11 terror attacks and also on his appeal against his conviction.
Justices Ranjana Desai and R V More said that they were ready with the judgement even today but because of bulky paper work and heavy compilation they would pronounce the verdict a fortnight later.
On the same day the High Court would also pronounce its judgement on the appeal filed by Maharashtra Government challenging acquittal of co-accused Faheem Ansari and Sabauddin Ahmed in the same case.
The trial court had set them free on the ground that evidence against the duo was doubtful.
The judges asked Government Counsel Ujjwal Nikam to make arrangements for video conference link in the court for Kasab on 21st February in case he wanted to hear the verdict from the Arthur Road Central jail where he is lodged.
However, Kasab’s lawyer Amin Solkar pleaded that the judgement may be pronounced on 28th February as he was going abroad and would not be able to remain present on 21st February.
The judges expressed their inability to consider his request and decided to give the verdict on 21st February.
On 6th May last year, the trial court had sentenced Kasab to death after holding him responsible for the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks, which left 166 dead and many more wounded.
Nine terrorists, who had come with him from Pakistan, had been killed by security forces during the three-day seige.
Trial judge M L Tahiliyani had accepted the case of the prosecution that Kasab and nine others had come from Karachi by sea and struck terror by firing on people in the city including the bustling CST and hotels Taj and Oberoi.
Under the law, death sentence awarded to an accused by trial court comes up before the high court for confirmation.